About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

running is medicine




I run for many reasons. The most important reason though is I run to reset my mood. I am a nurse and back in nursing school while on my psych rotation I witnessed electric shock therapy(ECT). This seemed bizarre to me. Depressed people gave consent to be sedated and have electric current zapped through their brain with enough force to cause a seizure and then a they would wake up with amnesia and feel better and have a brighter mood almost instantly and go home happy the next day. weird right?

well I run and stress my body with enough exertion to produce a similar response, I believe. The marathon training and now my attempts to improve my speed~jolt my brain and make me feel better~without all the drama of ECT or any of the side effects of mood altering medications.

I run for my health and because I can run I am happy. running is good medicine!

and I feel happy when I run down by the ocean, I draw energy from the flowing waves and wind.

No comments: