About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Monday, July 5, 2010

is faster really better?


Heading to the "LAND OF THE GIANTS" Arcata, Ca. for a week of Redwoods, clean air, beer drinking(many small little breweries to explore) and running on trails!
I am excited to go except for the 700 miles of driving I get to endure tomorrow!

today I ran 4 miles in 38 minutes and felt good.
yesterday I was a spectator at the Redondo Beach Firecracker 5K first place finisher was in under 15 minutes!!
first place female was under 17 minutes! dang lots of talent out there!
begs the question
are they having fun?
are they overtaxing their bodies?
I just wonder because my goal (or reason for running) it sets the mood for the day with its free endorphins and keeps my weight down and my health better. But does running faster still offer these same benefits? I don't know but I am still attempting to run 13.1 miles in 2:30 or less.....but I still have to ask why?
when I trained and ran Los Angeles Marathon my motto was "slow is the new fast" and I really enjoyed training and March 22, 2010 was one of the most enjoyable 6 hours of my 49 years of life.

so cautiously I go forward but still allowing myself to question....WHY go faster?

1 comment:

Trail Boy said...

How were the trails? Lots of beatiful woods and nature? I'd love to see/run Calif trails before I croak.

As far as the fast 5k runners, everyone has their own goals and motivation. Set your own goals and embrace them!