About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Monday, August 23, 2010

missing Lebanon



I was missing Lebanon lately. I am married to a Lebanese Christian who fled Lebanon in 1979 during the never ending civil war between the Christians and the Muslims. We met in college he was getting his Masters at Case Western University and I was getting my RN training at St Vincent Charity back in 1984. It was love at first sight for me. He had the foreign sexy look. When we decided to get married we picked Lebanon because none of his extended family could come to the States and so we got married in the mountains over looking Beirut. I fell in love with the country it is beautiful. And we have made several trips back to enjoy the beaches, night life, extended family and the food. I miss Lebanon and all her beauty especially today.
The food of Lebanon is amazing. I learned how to make many dishes so when I do I will blog my version of the dish and take a picture of it so that someday I can gather up all my blogs and share them with my children so they can make my recipes.
This is a favorite of my son Anthony and I made it today at his request. I love cooking dinner and love it even more when a member of the family requests it!

البازيللا مع الارز

Peas and Carrots stew with rice
1 large yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 pound fresh carrots
1 bag frozen baby peas
1 small can tomato paste
1 pound of beef stewing chunks
1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
olive oil
seasonings: salt, pepper and (lebanese sweet pepper)
also make a pot of steamed rice to serve with the stew.

dice onion saute in 1 tsp olive oil (I use a pressure cooker)
then add the meat and the seasonings and brown in small batches (do not crowd the pot or the meat will not brown)
while the meat is searing peel and cut carrots into small coins
then add tomato paste to pot to deglaze the pot (scrape up all the brown bits into the sauce) and add the carrots to the pot.
add a quart of water and stir then place the pressure cooker top on and get up to pressure and cook for 40 minutes
make a pot of rice

when the 40 minutes is up cool down the pressure cooker under cool running water, then open it and add the entire bag of frozen baby green peas and 4 cloves of garlic pressed through a garlic press.

serve with steamed rice and top with cilantro as desired

2 comments:

Happy Duff said...

This stew sounds yummy to me. I was at the Israeli-Lebanon border in 1970. I was stunned by the beauty of Northern Israel, Lebanon, and the Golan Heights. So much beauty in the midst of so much strife and sadness. I feel in love with the country and Middle Eastern food! Thanks for this post. Jackie Angel your T-friend.

JW said...

Mmmm.. that looks and sounds delish!!! Do you have pictures of Lebanon to share? I wish more people cared about the beauty of other countries and the fact that the people who live there are people just like we are... there is so much fear amongst Americans for muslim-type countries and it is sad. I see Jackie... I see Jackie... going to get her to my blog list now too!! :)