About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Sunday, November 28, 2010

How to eat healthy on a budget

1. Drink water ~I gave up soda a few years ago, if I need the caffeine then fresh brewed tea poured over ice is excellent.

2. Eggs for breakfast. High in protein low in price. I opt for whole eggs.

3. Canned meat like tuna is a great way to add protein to a salad/sandwich, also beef or pork roasts or whole chickens cooked in a slow cooker and shredded to use all week

4. Frozen vegetables are inexpensive and go on sale stock up and add them to soups and stews and use as a side dish to get more nutrition into your meals and they don’t go bad like unused fresh produce that you “meant to use, but never go to”.

5. Buy grains and dry beans in bulk and cook them in a big batch at he beginning of the week. I usually make a big pot of brown rice on Sunday and soak and cook some beans to add to soups and salads all week.

6. Eat oatmeal buy in bulk and cook it in minutes season with dried fruit/nuts and yogurt

7. Make a list to shop from based on a written menu

8. Stick to the menu when shopping no impulse buys avoid processed food/boxes/cans/and premade frozen foods

9. Pack you lunch if you are away from home during the day

10. Have snack bags of nuts or protein bars in car or purse to avoid tempting fast food when hungry. Never eat at fast food places they are evil and the stuff they serve is not food. Eat an apple or orange instead (run into a grocery store and grab 1 piece of fruit if staving and unprepared.



sample week menu





Breakfast


Scrambled egg +oatmeal (with a diced apple a few walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon)

Snack


Cottage cheese/salsa



Lunch

Tuna sandwich and tossed green salad





Snack

Protein shake (only if I feel hungry at 3 pm to avoid chips/candy)



Dinner (this can vary if I get bored I add different herbs or vegetables or yams instead of brown rice)



Grilled fish/chicken brown rice and bowl of homemade vegetable soup



Bedtime snack

Sleepy time tea and pumpkin protein pancakes


Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

½ c lowfat cottage cheese
½ c canned 100% pumpkin
4 eggs
½ c raw old-fashioned oats
¼ t baking soda
1 t pumpkin pie spice

Toss all the ingredients into a blender blend it will be kind of thick just keep scraping down the sides and blend until uniform
Preheat a non-stick skillet on med-low spray pan with cooking spray
Pour into skillet place lid on it slowly cooks 15 minutes slide out onto a plate/flip it over and complete the cooking slow and low with lid on. It should puff up and get golden brown.
Then I slide onto a cooling wire rack after completely cool cut into 8 wedges
8 snacks done refrigerate and grab and gobble I like to eat with a few walnuts
my 14 year old loves these spread with Nutella

No comments: