About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hot and Cold




HOT and COLD

Today I am not working so I wanted to cook a bunch of healthy food so later this week I can have quick healthy options when I am tired. It is no surprise that I will be hungry at least 3 times everyday, somedays 5-6 times!
So I need to have good choices to go to when I go browsing in my fridge.
My son is back at UCLA and dorm food, so now my cooking is focused on my girls and husbands likes.
My daughters are vegetarians so need lots of vegetable options.
Side dishes of lentil salad, or egg salad or protein pancakes make the meal complete for them for me and my husband I grill fish or chicken and have that on the side.
I had on hand today a big head of green cabbage so hot/cold options of cabbage sounded good.

Cold Cabbage


combine in a mixing bowl
1/2 c cider vinegar
1T peanut oil
1 T sugar
1t salt
1t black pepper
1T black sesame seeds
1T white sesame seeds
1T silvered almonds
1/4 c peanuts
1/2 head of hand chopped cabbage
1 carrot chopped
1 hot pepper (leave it quartered so its flavor infuses, but I do not actually eat it)

Hot Cabbage


 into a soup pan
1T olive oil
1 small onion diced
4 cloves garlic chopped
6 carrots diced
1 head of cauliflower chopped
1 hot pepper( and leave it big enough to avoid eating, but let its flavor get into the broth)
1/2 head of roughly chopped green cabbage
1T  (Better than Bouillon) vegetable base
1 c tomato sauce
simmer 2 hours, tastes better the next day!

No comments: