About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Sunday, January 2, 2011

learning long run

I hold the intention of RUNNING 26.2 miles in 77 days.
With that vision at the front of my brain and my training plan stuck on my fridge door I went for a learning long run today.
It was grey outside with rain heading in but I knew that was coming.

I was planning 13 miles but for some reason I was set on running to Manhattan Beach Pier which turned out to be actually 11.43 miles. I ran the entire time it took 2 hours 10 minutes.

what I learned today
13 miles is farther than I thought!
~the ocean looked like a lake NO SURF little tiny waves so cool!
~Garmin keeps it real I will continue to keep my training real by wearing it on long runs so I don't exaggerate my distance or time. keeping it real is important.
~I ran with water my camel pack, I ran with granola bar which I ate at halfway mark. I did not drink alcohol last night and breakfast was peanut butter toast an coffee.I did not overdress actually I got a little cold when it rained. short sleeve tee was not the best choice.
~whatever you focus on expands! I felt like so many distance runners were out training today and that made it really fun! 
~I can do hard stuff like this. I can run a marathon. I just have to stick to my plan and go slow so I dont get too tired and then I will have to walk.

3 comments:

JW said...

Love your intention!! Happy New Year!! Look forward to reading about all that universe leads you to during your runs and training. You will do great!

J. Parry-Siegfried said...

You make running sound like a meditation for the soul. Maybe if I adopted your attitude toward it, I would see the joy, not the pain. I really do love your blog. Hugs, Jackie

greydawn said...

Happy New Year Janelle!!
Jackie find your activity that makes sense to you and do it. walking in nature, swimming in a warm pool. whatever you can figure out and it makes sense just do it 3-4 times a week.(HUGS)