About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mujaddara



 Today I made a dish from Lebanon. I got married there, and have visited a few times with my husband and children . I wanted to go this summer but after reading the news this morning it may be awhile before I feel safe enough to go.
I am making more meatless dishes because I feel lighter eating this way.

 Mujaddara
lentils
brown rice
onion
oil
salt/pepper/cumin

simmer the lentils in water until tender, then add to pot with brown rice/water  1:2 ratio add spices simmer for 1 hour
while the rice and lentils cook slice an onion and shallow fry in a pan with vegetable oil (if you are lucky , like me you can find a little market where some one already fried the onions and you don't have to stink up your house!)

serve with side of fresh cucumber/tomato salad tossed with mint salt/pepper/olive oil/lemon juice

enjoy with fresh pita bread I prefer to eat this at room temperature.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

This sounds so good. I'll have to give this a try. I love felafals and most Middle Eastern food. Interestingly, when I travelled in the Middle East, I'm not sure I really saw any obese people, at least not like in the U.S. But then, they're not sitting at the computers day and night either. I'd love to see more of your recipes...Hugs,

Jackie
www.midlifemyway.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

PLEASE don't disappear. I love your blog...PLEASE. Love you, Jackie