About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Monday, February 7, 2011

celebrating life

Yesterday I celebrated!
My son was home for the weekend and since his birthday falls midweek we celebrated his 20th birthday a few days early.
A birthday in our home always means an old fashioned from scratch birthday cake. Always Anthony's favorite part of his birthday!


Anthony's favorite cake recipe
1 c shortening
1 3/4c sugar
3 eggs
1t vanilla
1 c milk
2 c flour
1t baking soda
1/2t baking powder
1/2c coco powder
1/2t salt
 cream sugar/shortening then add eggs and vanilla. combine dry ingredients on a parchment paper and alternate milk and dry ingredients until all combined. cook in 2 round cake pans in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. cool
 frosting
2 c powdered sugar+ 3 T coco powder+1T butter+2T milk

most of the cake is gone with my son back to his dorm room to share with his room mates as they try to figure out the meaning of organic chemistry and life in general!


I also had fun running yesterday started in a misty damp drizzle and ended in a warm ocean hug! Did not run in the Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K instead ran to Hermosa Beach and home through the crowds in Redondo Beach!
Celebrating the fact that my 14 year old and her friends are doing Sunday morning beach runs now and want to be on Cross Country next year!!!
I also had fun cheering against the Steelers (remember I am from Cleveland)



 I am celebrating life because it is good!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Life IS good! I can hardly believe you have a 20 year old. Bet everyone thinks you're his sister instead of his mom! Must be all that healthy eating and running you do. You're the poster child for fitness and the fountain of youth. How could you not eat that chocolate cake? It sounds soooo yummy!

JW said...

Love your celebrations! ;) Looks like things are well with you guys. Sorry I have been MIA the last week...just checking in and saying HI! :)