About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Thursday, February 24, 2011

inner conflict resolution

redefining my exercise strategy


I love running

I do not love marathon running it is too extreme and for my body it produces too many negatives.

I look at it this way.

Running is an excellent way for me to start my day. It makes me happy, the world is just more beautiful and I feel more alive after 30-60 minutes of running. My bright happy brain is engaged alive and humming for the entire day after a run.

Here is the problem running for 3-5 hours is exhausting, painful and unnatural for me. At my fitness level and age marathon training is hurting me.  I ran 13 miles this past weekend and 18 miles the weekend before that and both times the run impacted my entire day took me away from my home and made me wonder WHAT am I doing? I was really in pain toes bloody, left hip aching and many other problems best not discussed.

I am in conflict. Do I stop running?  I love running so NO I will not stop running but I will not run for 4-6 hours straight because the damage outweighs the benefit. The stress and cortisol of running that long outweighs the benefits for me. 

So can 50 yr old women run marathons? YES  I know I can I did last year. But will I? NO probably not, because I know I can but I no longer have that desire.

I am in search of how to live in my body in a healthy positive way. I know that exercise is important to me and I intend to keep moving everyday mostly outside by the ocean. I have added swimming and weight lifting into the mix.

I am grateful for the process of self discovery. I am grateful to those who encouraged me to run a marathon because mostly it is a mind game doing something so unbelievable ~running 26. miles!!

I learned that I can do really hard things. 

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Like you said, you've done a marathon, so you know you can do it. Remember, the original marathon runner who was in excellent shape, delivered his message, "Nike" (victory) and then dropped dead! Running long distances is medically proven to cause heart damage. (I can send you the info from some of the reports if you'd like.) Maybe running for the sake of enjoyment is more rewarding than running for competition. Follow your heart, sweet Sherdian. You're a winner no matter what! Hugs.

JW said...

Self-discovery at work, I love it!! You know what's best, listen to your body and love it. :)

greydawn said...

@ Jackie thanks~I am content with the decision. I will continue to run because it is medicine! you are sweet!

@ Janelle thanks~ I think my ego was getting in the way of my inner wisdom.

JW said...

Nothing wrong with the experiences of the marathons, it lead you to here, and here is perfect, right? We don't have to go the other extreme of thinking marathons are bad, either, but rather, know our own reasons, always, for why we do what we do. :) Who is driving our decisions? Ego or Inner Wisdom? (love that you call it inner wisdom!!)

greydawn said...

runners are the nicest people! I do not regret anything and I do not judge people who love to run marathons! Whatever works~I love running and we always have it as part of my life it is just that my body did not do well running that distance! I am forever grateful to the path I am on because just as you say Janelle it got me here and I love my life!!