About Me

My photo
exercise is my medicine. I run, swim, and lift weights anything to keep my body in top form. I am an RN, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter and a friend. I am grateful for my life and each new day. My PRs Los Angeles Marathon (March 22, 2010) - 6:00:03 San Diego Rock and Roll Half Marathon (June 6, 2010) - 2:47:53 Redondo Beach Superbowl 10K (Feb 2010) - 1:03 Redondo Beach Superbowl 5K (Feb 2009) - 27:31

Wednesday, May 16, 2012



Ship to Shore 60 mile bike ride part of the Tour de Cure ride series raising money for research to end Diabetes.


http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1123443    This link is to the 100 mile ride we opted out of the last 40 miles and instead found 60 miles to be enough of a challenge!!!! I am certain my husband could have done the 100 mile ride but he stayed with me the entire ride!!

I am a reluctant rider. I dont own a bike and I prefer walking or running for exercise.
I dont know how to ride with clip in shoes and be pro at riding, so I just wore my running shoes.
I am taking a break from running due to Periformis muscle pain/tightness and as any injured runner know you need a back up plan for cardio.
So in January when I got an email asking me to join a team ride at work I shared the idea with my husband and he encouraged me to try it.  He rides often and he is really fast and loves to climb, so when he said he would help me it was a done deal. I had a personal expert to guide me.
We rode side by side the entire 60 miles. It took me 7 hours.

The best part was the early part of the ride over the bridges in San Pedro, the hardest part was the switchbacks were you gain 1000 feet in 2 miles on Palos Verdes  East!!

I now have an alternate way to get my cardio in and a great way to workout. I need to increase my pace if I intend to ride with my husband or any groups.

No comments: